Friday, June 11, 2010

What a day

First- thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that has become a follower! I still know there are more of you out there so please take a couple of minutes and become a follower for me!!

Well, I woke up this morning with great plans of cleaning the house and spending the day with Mia. My plans quickly changed when I got Mia out of her bed to change her diaper and found this...


My poor little girl has these terribles hives around her diaper area and in her arm pits. I had given her strawberry yogurt melts the evening before for the first time, so I figured she was having an allergic reaction to strawberries since she had never had them before. I took her to the store, bought benedryl and gave her a dose in the parking lot.

She seemed to be feeling fine so I took her home and fed her breakfast. An hour later, the hives were getting bigger and still spreading. I called her peditrician's office and convinced them to get her right in so we headed to the drs office.


The dr. is almost positive this is not an allergic reaction to strawberries. She said an allergic reaction to food should happen within an hour of eating the food, respond to benedryl and make a child feel sick. Mia was crawling around the table saying 'dadadada' so I'm pretty sure she felt just fine. She thinks it must be a viral rash. Luckily, she said it is definitely not contagious since Mia has been around other babies this week. She said she expects it to get worse before it gets better and that Mia could be completely covered when she wakes up in the morning.

And since our family never leaves the dr with only one thing wrong- while she was examining Mia she said, "Now, is Mia being treated for her thrush?" What- I had NO idea she even had thrush! Yes, she showed me her lips and cheek and there were definitely white patches on them. It all makes sense now. I have been having pain while nursing these last couple of days but didn't think much of it. So, now we know, we both have thrush.

The treatment for this is GENTIAN VIOLET. The dr painted her entire mouth with this bright purple dye. I was warned that it stains everything so to be very careful with anything that Mia comes into contact with this weekend.

But just look at this sweet purple smile...


it looks like the poor girl ate a ball point pen! So now, not only is she spotted, she also has a bright purple mouth! I got her face all cleaned up once we got home, but since I also had to treat myself with the dye, once she nursed she was all purple again.
Luckily we have no plans this weekend!

Since we have cream carpet, Mia has been quarentined to a black sheet on the living room floor. She didn't seem to mind as long as we were with her and she had toys.

These are not the greatest pictures because the poor little thing is drugged up on benedryl but you get the idea. My daughter looks like a clown!

You can see in this picture, the rash is still spreading. The weird thing is she doesn't have any on her legs or back. She just started getting them on her arms and head tonight. Who knows what she will look like by morning.

She looks so big here, but this picture is deceiving. She is still only in the 25th percentile for height and weight. A tiny little peanut!



Here is a little video of her playing tonight

Craig was trying to occupy her before dinner and this is what he came up with...

She actually loved playing in the box!


I don't know how much cleaning I will get done this weekend, but at least I will get to be with my sweet little polka dotted, purple baby girl!

2 comments:

The Leighton Family said...

OMG!!!!!!! I feel so bad for you, but I can't help but giggle at how cute she looks with purple all over her face and spots all over her body!
Love
Jess

The Haley Clan said...

Funny! Is this why you asked if Lydia had Thrush? Honestly, She looks so cute with the purple mouth! Did you have to paint your self too? Bummer about the rash! I believe Jayden had that same virus when she was a babe!