Thursday, November 5, 2009

We are now a family...

Well, in case you haven't heard, the big day finally came.  Sarah woke up at 11:30 Tuesday night with strong contractions.  She wasn't sure if they were the real deal so she left me sleeping and when into the living room.  Now, I couldn't sleep knowing she was hurting so I got up with her to see how I could help.  The contractions came at 15 min, then 12, then 10, then 3-5 min within an hour.  While Sarah was waiting for the night nurse to call back, I decided that we were heading in no matter what the nurse said.  So we finished packing the car (we'd already had a false alarm and packed it last week) and headed in.  By God's grace I didn't get pulled over or run any stop lights (although Sarah would tell you that I didn't drive fast enough ;) Bless her!).  We arrived at the hospital around 1:30 Wednesday morning and Sarah was having very difficult back contractions.  She was dilated to 4 cm which was a little disappointing at the time.  She tried the jacuzzi and a rocking chair, but neither were helping with her back pain.  The best position she found was on her hands and knees on the floor.  When the nurse saw this she graciously offered an epidural.  Sarah gladly accepted.  By the time the epidural was in and she was checked again she was dilated to 8 cm.  This was around 4 am.  By 4:45 she was at 10 cm and started to push.  The doctor came in around 6:30 or so and at 7:15, Mia Lee Anderson joined our family.


"I'm this big!"

Mia arrived weighing 6 lbs and 13 oz and was 19.5 inches long.  She came with a full head of ashy, silver blond hair.  Our pediatrician said it was the most blond hair she'd ever seen on a new baby.   She is in perfect health and Mom is recovering very well.  I'm sure I'm leaving out tons of details but I'm exhausted and am going to sleep.  I can guarantee that Sarah will update with MUCH more of the details that the people who read this blog want.  We go home tomorrow morning and we can't wait to introduce Mia to her room and the outside world.



Ouch!  She was soooo mad!

Tiny little hands!  She's so precious

Look at all that hair!  She's just perfect

2 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

She's beautiful...congratulations guys :)

The Tostenson's said...

I'm so happy for you guys!! She is so precious. And her hair...it's not silver!!! :) I LOVE her hair!!!