I have never been so sick in my whole life. It all started last Monday with an earache. By mid morning I was popping pain pills because my ear was really starting to hurt. By Monday night I decided I couldn't wait until Tuesday to see a dr. so I went to the Hyvee health clinic. The nurse practitioner there confirmed I had a badly infected ear and prescribed drops and an antibiotic. She had real trouble trying to find a good antibiotic for me since I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs and am breastfeeding. I went home that night and started my meds. Tuesday morning I was way worse and couldn't go to school. By Tuesday afternoon the pain was so terrible I laid in bed crying waiting for Craig to come home from work. When he got home we went to the Med Center to see a family dr. from our church. He again confirmed 2 ear infections- both ear canal infections and inner ear infections. By this point my ears were swollen closed. I sat on the table crying and asked for a shot for the pain. The dr. gave me 2 new kinds of drops, a different antibiotic, precocet (for the pain) and a shot. We left there thinking I would feel great by morning. Tuesday night I took a percocet and laid down while Craig bathed Mia and made dinner- thank God for Craig! Within 30 mins I was so dizzy and started throwing up in our bed. So, now Craig puts Mia in her crib naked and strips the bed while I lay on the floor. Wait- the picture gets better. I had to nurse Mia so she could go to bed. So, I sat in the glider nursing her and holding the trashcan throwing up at the same time- what a sight! My mom called the dr again. He called in anti nauseous meds that my mom brought over for me. Wednesday I was still getting worse. Amanda came over to watch Mia because I was in so much pain I couldn't even function. She was starting to get worried. My ears were still very swollen and now my face was getting swollen. We went back to the same dr. This time he gave me a shot for the pain, an antibiotic shot, a fungul ear drop and a prescription for a steriod.

He assured me I would feel better in the morning- after all, I am now on 2 antibiotics, 3 drops, a painkiller, a steroid, pain shots and antibiotic shots! You won't believe this, but Thursday I am still feeling even WORSE. My sister was really getting worried now (and since she's a nurse, it takes a lot to worry her) so we went back to the dr again. This time I couldn't even sit up in the room. I laid on the table nursing Mia as they decided I was becoming dehydrated. I had a fever of 101.4 and my blood pressure was only 85/50. Another round of shots- my poor bruised hips! I didn't care- the shot for pain was the only thing that worked. They also gave me 2 bags of IV fluids. Friday my mom came over and was so surprised I was still not feeling better. She watched Mia as I tried to sleep in my bedroom. Finally she came in and told me to pack a bag because the dr. wanted to see me again. He was thinking of admitting me to the hospital for IV antibiotics- all this for ear infections! I had a CAT scan with dye and blood work done. The CAT scan came back clear- only ear infections and my white blood count came back looking good too. Another round of shots and I was FINALLY starting to feel a little bit better. After a day of rest on Saturday I was finally ready to celebrate my first Mother's Day on Sunday. Two weeks later, my ears are still really clogged- I feel like I am under water because I can't hear great.
The pain is now gone though- thank God for Dr. Finley- he saved me last week!
He assured me I would feel better in the morning- after all, I am now on 2 antibiotics, 3 drops, a painkiller, a steroid, pain shots and antibiotic shots! You won't believe this, but Thursday I am still feeling even WORSE. My sister was really getting worried now (and since she's a nurse, it takes a lot to worry her) so we went back to the dr again. This time I couldn't even sit up in the room. I laid on the table nursing Mia as they decided I was becoming dehydrated. I had a fever of 101.4 and my blood pressure was only 85/50. Another round of shots- my poor bruised hips! I didn't care- the shot for pain was the only thing that worked. They also gave me 2 bags of IV fluids. Friday my mom came over and was so surprised I was still not feeling better. She watched Mia as I tried to sleep in my bedroom. Finally she came in and told me to pack a bag because the dr. wanted to see me again. He was thinking of admitting me to the hospital for IV antibiotics- all this for ear infections! I had a CAT scan with dye and blood work done. The CAT scan came back clear- only ear infections and my white blood count came back looking good too. Another round of shots and I was FINALLY starting to feel a little bit better. After a day of rest on Saturday I was finally ready to celebrate my first Mother's Day on Sunday. Two weeks later, my ears are still really clogged- I feel like I am under water because I can't hear great.
The pain is now gone though- thank God for Dr. Finley- he saved me last week!
2 comments:
Oh Sarah!! What a nightmare! I'm so glad you're feeling better...and that you have so many people to take good care of you :)
Poor girl. I couldn't image....sounds like a pretty awful week. Glad you're finally feeling better!! How fortunate to have such a wonderful family!!
Take Care
Post a Comment