This is how it all began...
1 year ago today- actually 1 year ago at this exact moment- we became a family.
.
I have never journaled Mia's birth story and don't want to forget any of it,
so I thought today was a great day to do it.
.
I worked all day Tuesday, Nov 3rd and was in crazy cleaning mode. Teachers at school kept saying I was nesting and was going to have Mia very soon- they were right. I got my hair cut after school and then Craig and I went to the gym to walk. We had been walking 1.5 miles each night trying to make labor start! We went to bed around 10pm just like a normal night.
I woke up around 11:15 and had to go to the bathroom. Then I got back in bed, but about 10 mins later I had to go again so I got back up. That was when I had my first contraction (at 11:30). I wasn't even sure if it was real because it wasn't horrible or anything so I got back in bed and didn't tell Craig. The contractions just kept coming though so I got up and went to the living room to lay on the couch- I told Craig to just stay in bed and sleep in case nothing happened.
.
Everytime I had a contraction I would have to stand up and walk around- I had TERRIBLE back pain. Come to find out later, Mia was facing the wrong direction- she should have been facing my spine but was facing my tummy instead- that causes back labor.
.
Craig came out and said he couldn't sleep knowing I was having contractions so he laid on the other couch and timed my contractions. Now we had this great birth plan- I wanted to hang out at home for as long as possible. I pictured myself outside walking around waiting until I was further along. By 12:30am though my contractions were already 5-7 mins apart and were very intense. Craig called the after hours nurse from my drs office and she wanted to talk to me. I couldn't talk through the contractions so she said to head to the hospital. By this time, the only thing I could do to make it through the contractions was kneel on the stairs and have Craig push on my lower back.
.
Craig gathered our bags and cameras and I texted family and we were on our way. Of course, we ran into construction so I told Craig to just drive over a median- I didn't care how we got there, I just wanted to be in the hospital. My pain was getting worse quick!
.
I had to kneel at the side of the car in the parking lot to get through one contraction, then we kind of ran inside so we could make it before the next one came. I had another contraction in the lobby so I knelt next to a chair. The security officer really wanted me to take a wheelchair upstairs, but I told him I had 5 mins to get there and we took off!
.
It was so great to see a familiar face when the elevator door opened on the labor and delivery floor. My sister's good friend, Janelle, is a nurse on L&D and she took me to a great corner room and got me situated. Then my nurse came in as I got my gown on and was hooked up to monitors. I was checked and I was at a 4 (I was at a 3 at my previous dr appt) so I wanted to wait awhile for my epidural. I tried the jacuzzi (which was also part of my great plan) but everytime I had a contraction I would try to jump out of the tub because my back hurt so bad. I couldn't be sitting- I had to kneel. I ended up having all of my contractions before my epi on the dirty hospital ground on my hands and knees. Finally I knew it was time for the epidural.
My family arrived and came in for a quick hello. I remember being frustrated that they were all laughing and excited and I was in terrible pain! They were so excited to meet Mia!
The anesthesiologist came up and gave me my epi, but it didn't take. He kept saying to give it a couple mins but then he would watch me through my next contraction and I was still having to breathe and grip the bed- it wasn't working! He had to give me 5 doses of the med before it worked and it still didn't work in my left leg. The pain was way more manageable though. I could actually have a conversation with Craig and the nurses.
I never have great luck with medication. I am allergic to several different meds and was a little worried about the epi medicine. I did have some weird reactions to it. I kept jumping because I felt like I was going to fall off the bed. Craig would say I didn't even move, but I swore I was falling. I also couldn't breathe very well. The nurse though I was having an anxiety attack so she had me breathe in a bag. That didn't work so she gave me oxygen. She called down and asked the anesthesiologist about my side effects- I heard what we usually hear with me- thats not a common side effect- but he wasn't worried.
.
I was checked after my epi and was at an 8- oooh almost there!! I was finally getting excited. I couldn't believe after 9 long months I was going to meet my little girl. About 30 mins later at 4:45, I was at 10 and ready to push!!
.
It took me a long time to figure out how to push to be productive. I still remember finally figuring out the right way but it still took me 2 1/2 LONG hours of pushing. I was so nauseous. I would push push push and then throw up or gag. It was terrible!
.
But finally....
Mia Lee Anderson arrived at 7:15
She was the most gorgeous baby I have ever seen
I called out to the waiting room to tell my family she had arrived!
They came back before she was even 30 mins old and got to hold her.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Punky Roo- we love you more than you will ever know!
1 comment:
awww, you made me teary :) happy birthday mia!!
Post a Comment