I was so convinced that this baby would come early since Mia did. Mia was exactly 1 week early so I thought the next child would be even earlier. Everyone said not to get my hopes up because it would be really frustrating to pass my due date...but I didn't listen. So as my due date got closer and closer, I became very frustrated. I was continuously having false labor. Twice I had 5 hours of good, strong time-able contractions. We had the car packed, my mom came over to watch Mia and then...everything stopped both times! SO frustrating! So at my 39 week appointment when my ob told me she could induce me in the morning and I could have a baby in my arms by lunch time- I was sold! I decided to be induced the next day- August 1st. It's very weird to choose your child's birth date.
Being induced actually worked really well for our families though. It's crazy how we can plan our child's arrival these days so that everyone can be there for the big day! Craig's whole family was able to make it the night before and arrive at the hospital before our newest arrival arrived.
Mia's last snuggles as an only child.
It was so nice to rock her to sleep that night.
We both needed that time together.
The next morning, we got all ready...to have a baby- crazy!...and took Mia to my parent's place. She was SOO excited and I was overwhelmed with nerves.
I look at this picture now and can't even believe I was able to stand...don't remember being THAT big!
All hooked up and ready to be induced
This little baby warmer kept me going...I just couldn't even wait to have her here and that little warmer made me believe this was real and she was coming SOON.
Getting ready to walk the halls to get my contractions going
I arrived at the hospital at 10am. I had been 3cm the day before at my appointment and arrived at the hospital as a 4-5cm so I was ready! They started my pitocin at 10:30am and we began walking. At first nothing happened. I expected the contractions to just start right up. The nurse upped my pitocin every 30 mins as we walked and eventually broke my water which really got things started.
Our whole family was there: 13 people I believe. They were all waiting in the family room and would come back and visit or walk a few laps with us. It was great that my labor was so much more in control than it was with Mia.
I had to have an antibiotic when they started my pitocin and I, of course, was allergic to it. My lips started swelling and my head was SO itchy. So I was on pitocin, an antibiotic, benadryl and then reglan because the antibiotic also made me nauseous. I felt soo drugged. What fun!
After a few good strong painful contractions the nurse asked me to come back to my room so I could be checked. I was a loose 7 and making more progress- yay! She asked me to swing my legs around the side of the bed. When I asked why she said 'because she ordered my epidural'. I hadn't even asked for it yet, but it was kind of nice to have it before I was begging for it. This time it took so well. I could not have been more numb. I couldn't feel anything!
I was checked again and was at a 10 and ready to push. I was feeling very strong pressure and felt ready to push, but since my OB was across town, the nurse shut my pitocin off and told me to 'close my legs and wait'. By the time my Dr. arrived, my contractions had stopped and I had lost the urge to push- darn it! We had to start my pitocin slow again and slowly up it until it was making my contractions regular- than the pushing began at 3:00pm. The nurse kept telling me it was only going to take a few pushes and baby would be here. She said baby is right there so it will be so easy to get her to come. Well, after pushing for 40 mins, we found out baby was sunny side up (facing the wrong direction) so my ob reached in and flipped her but she flipped back...so she reached in again and flipped her and after a few more pushes...
Isla Mae Anderson was born at 4:00pm
8.4 lbs
20.5" long
We waited SO long for this beautiful baby girl to join our family. After 4 little angel babies in Heaven, it was such an amazing relief to have this healthy little girl in my arms- to know the wait was over and she was here. I love the picture above because I can see that single tear running down my cheek and my eyes closed and I just remember that feeling of relief and THANKING GOD for placing her in my arms....finally!
Sad little baby girl
Poor little adorably swollen face
Proud daddy
Her hair was curly and definitely has a reddish tint
This picture melts my heart- I LOVED having Mia come back and meet her sister. It was such a special moment for our family. She had been praying soo hard for us to have a baby and I just love having her see that God answers her prayers.
Oh- my 2 girls
Then the chaos arrived! Everyone wanted to hear her name at the same time because we had kept it a secret my whole pregnancy. There was a lot of confusion right after she was born. After I was all cleaned up and Isla had nursed, Craig went out to get Mia. After we had some time with just Mia, Craig went out to get some more family to come meet Isla. He came back all alone and said they all wanted her to come back out with him. The nurse laughed out loud and said NO she can't come out. So Craig went back out again and realized the family had meant they wanted Mia to come out and tell them her name so they could all hear it at the same time. Well, then I said NO because I wanted to be there when they heard her name. Finally, the nurse stepped in and said to just have them all come back and meet her and hear her name at the same time....so in entered 13 people about 30 mins after I just had a baby! It was a little overwhelming but so cool to have our entire family meeting the newest family member.
Mia got to be the one to share her name with the family. Isla Mae is a family name from Craig's dad's side. I believe she was Craig's great grandma.
Aunt Tina with her new little niece
Great Grandma's 20th great-grand child
Aunt Rachel was so excited to make it in time from Colorado
My sister and Tom loving on Isla
Nana Brenda
Nana Debbie
Our new family of 4- so many answered prayers
Another picture I just love. I love Mia's big eyes looking at Daddy.
She just couldn't believe she got to hold Isla by herself.
Our family left early that night so we could get some sleep. Craig enjoyed a lot of snuggles before bed. There was like 20 babies in the nursery that night so we decided to keep Isla in our room- big mistake for me. I didn't sleep a wink because she was awake, nursing ALL NIGHT! Needless to say, she went to the nursery the next night and I got a great night's sleep. The nurse had to wake her up every 4 hours to bring her in to nurse because she was sound asleep all night. Good little baby girl!
Grandpa Gale
3 generations
My sweet baby all cleaned up
Craig had to go take his big Master's program final the morning we got to go home. I had my new baby, a starbucks and a quiet room for several hours. It was pure bliss! I pretended I was on a little mini vacation (minus all the pain I was having) and just enjoyed all those new baby snuggles.
I just love that little squished up face
Already time to go home. I was so ready to have Mia back. I actually really enjoyed my hospital stay this time but missed Mia like crazy!
She's ours- we're taking her home. Praise God!
I prayed for this child and God has granted me the desires of my heart. 1 Samuel 1:27






No comments:
Post a Comment