Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Punky Roo!!

Mia's first birthday turned out just perfect! I had been thinking about it since pretty much the day she was born (or maybe even before) and I don't think it could have gone any better!
.
First- the decorations: I looked all over for cute first birthday decorations- but they were all so cheesey! So, I decided to make my own.
.
I made a memory banner- with 1 picture for each month of her life- it is now hanging in her room! It's so fun to look at over and over again!

.
This is just the sign that hung on the window. The colors of her party were hot pink, teal and bright green and the 'theme' was polka dots. I didn't think of taking pictures until late that night when I was ready to take everything down- that's why it's so dark!

This is a mobile I saw at Hobby Lobby but they only had the colors for a baby shower.
This too is also hanging in her room now- it was a LOT of work!
Before we even had kids, I always wanted to get them a pottery barn chair for their 1st birthday. This was a splurge- it was her only gift from us- but it was worth it! She climbs in and out of it about 102 times each day! I love watching her sit there and read books or hold her baby- it's so sweet!

We had about 40 people at her party in our little home-it was packed tight but it was so fun to celebrate Mia with all of our family and friends.
.
Opening gifts in her new chair: she LOVES burts bee bath wash. Usually out of all of her toys, she will choose that to play with and suck on...silly girl!

Of course, she loved the paper and bows as much as, or more than, the gifts!

I felt so bad while we were opening gifts. We would hand her something, open it, look at it for 5 secs and then take it away. She was getting a little frustrated by the end. We didn't seem appreciative at all, but I just knew she wouldn't last if we didn't hurry!
And then it was time for cake: I made Mia a little cake that looked like a cupcake. It had strawberry glaze on the bottom and white glaze on the top.
.
We sang to her and set it in front of her. She didn't know what to do.....
Finally I moved the plate closer to her face and she leaned in to lick it...

I love this face- 'What am I supposed to do with this whole cake Mom?'
My happy little family
It didn't take her long to figure it out what to do- what a mess- a FUN mess!!
I'm sure she thought it was so weird that everyone was standing around taking pictures of her making a huge mess when we normally tell her no. Everytime she would dig in we would all clap and shout- what an interesting tradition!


Thank you to everyone who came to celebrate with us!
We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family in our lives.

1 comment:

ASK Family Blog said...

Beautiful pics Sarah and Craig! Looks like a fabulous 1st birthday bash. It will be hard to top that off next year :)