These last 2 weeks have flown by in a blur. There are so many things I want to blog about so we have them recorded for Mia, but I just can't keep up right now. So, I am going to start with 2 weeks ago and try to catch up over a couple of days.
As many of you know, my Grandma King has been battling heart disease and blood cancer for several years. She had bypass surgery last year and has really struggled to recover from it.
She has been in and out of the hospital numerous times this past year.
.
Last Sunday we went to her house to say Hello. It seems to cheer her up to see Mia. She was so tired she only came out of her bedroom for about 10 mins and couldn't eat more than a few bites of the breakfast my mom brought for her.
.
Monday my mom took her to the hospital because she was weak and not feeling right. She has been taking about 15 different meds every day and just couldn't keep up. She got worse quickly in the hospital. Her heart doctor came to talk to her about her choices on Tuesday. He said her lungs were filling up, her heart was slowing down and irregular, her spleen and liver were some of the largest he had ever seen and her white blood count was out of control. He explained the situation to her and asked her if she wanted to keep fighting or quit everything and let nature take it's course. She said she had made the decision to stop everything. It was hard to hear her say that, but she just seemed so miserable that I knew it was the right decision.
.
All of our family came in town Tues and Wed. We pretty much lived at the hospital with her for several days- holding her hands, talking to her, praying for her, listening to our pastors read scripture. We spent most of Thanksgiving day at the hospital surrounded by family. We did have Thanksgiving dinner at Amanda's house since we already had 2 14lb turkeys.
.
This is the best part- grandma had been going in and out of making sense since Tuesday. She hadn't really been talking on Wednesday, but Wednesday morning she told my mom she needed to make some calls. I am so thankful that my mom had her call me. I got to tell her how much I would miss her but how excited I was for her to meet Jesus! I could hardly make it through the conversation without sobbing, but was a great opportunity to tell her I loved her and would see her in Heaven.
.
Thursday we got to the hospital at 9am and grandma took her last breath while holding grandpa's hand at 9:45. Watching grandma die was so sad, but just the thought of her strong and healthy in Heaven with Jesus brings a smile to my face.
I find great reassurance in knowing she is with her Maker and we will see each other again one day soon.
I am so thankful that Mia knew grandma- I know she won't remember her, but atleast we have these pictures of her and I will make sure Mia knows the song grandma sang with me as we crossed the street on the way to the park when I was little:
.
Stop, Look, Listen
Before you cross the street
Use your eyes, use your ears
And then you use your feet!
No comments:
Post a Comment